Saturday, May 5, 2012

First report. Olympus OM-D EM-5

I have been waiting patiently for my new Olympus OM-D EM-5 (EM-5 from hence forth) to arrive.  Well its here and I have it and its great!  First thing I really noticed when I picked up this camera was the size.  In all the images it really looks a lot larger then it is in person.  It really is very similar to the E-P3 in size, that I had previously.  (Shot with GF-1)
The new EM-5 really has an amazing feature set for such a small camera.  All of the things that I love about the EP-3 plus those few added features.  So far I have been shooting with the Panasonic 25 1.4 and have absolutely been loving the combo together.  Its fast, responsive, sharp, and amazing in low light.

About a week ago I had a chance to shoot a few images with a 5DMIII and thoroughly enjoyed that camera.  For me though it is a little out of my budget (ok a lot :).  I was starting to worry after shooting the 5DMIII that I would be disappointed when my new little olympus arrived.  All the standard stuff was running though my mind: full frame...lowlight...optical viewfinder...etc.  Since shooting with the little EM-5 I am very happy with the camera set I decided to go with.

A few friends and I went to see The Avengers last night so I brought my little EM-5 along to give myself some time to learn the camera a bit.  As I was playing with the camera I took a few shots to get a look at higher ISO images.  They were all shot at F1.4:
1600ISO

25600ISO

6400ISO
As you can see they are, in my opinion, very impressive with the way the camera handles low light.  I know when I was shooting my EP-3 I really didn't enjoy shooting anything over 800ISO.  With the new EM-5 I would be more then comfortable to shoot up at 1600.

Here are a few more shots all at ISO 200 F1.4 to take a look at.  Let me know what you think.
Monster!

Christina



Brian
At this point, overall I am very happy with the little EM-5.  For me it looks great (love the black, can't wait for the battery grip!), shoots great, and has a really good feature set.  More to come on this little camera.  Thanks for stoping by :) let me know what you think.

1 comment: